Voting for Virginia’s Favorite Architecture is now closed. Throughout the months of November and December 2013, the public was asked to select their favorites based on design, innovation, history, or the spirit of their communities and Virginia.
The Virginia Center for Architecture will announce the top 100 structures — Virginia’s Favorite Architecture — in an exhibition opening on April 10, 2014.
The structures featured in this survey were nominated by architects throughout the Commonwealth of Virginia in recognition of the 100th anniversary of the Virginia Society of the American Institute of Architects in 2014. The 250 works of architecture — buildings, bridges, monuments, and memorials — in this survey represent some of the best of Virginia’s rich architectural heritage.
United States Marine Corps War Memorial
City: Arlington
Date: 1954
Architect: Edward F. Neild, Felix de Weldon (Sculptor)
County: Arlington
Old Coast Guard Station
City: Virginia Beach
Date: 1903
Architect: George R. Tolman
County: Virginia Beach
Magnolia Grange Plantation
City: Chesterfield
Date: 1823
Architect: William Winfree
County: Chesterfield
Bacon’s Castle
City: Surry
Date: 1655
Architect: Arthur Allen
County: Surry
Image Credit: Preservation Virginia
Rippon Lodge
City: Woodbridge
Date: 1747
Architect: Richard Blackburn
County: Prince William
Center for Innovative Technology
City: Herndon
Date: 1989
Architect: Ward Hall Associates and Arquitectonica
County: Fairfax
Ridgemont Hospital – Floyd County Historical Society Museum
City: Floyd
Date: 1913
Architect: Lather Hylton
County: Floyd
Hollin Hills
City: Alexandria
Date: 1946, 1956-71
Architect: Charles W. Goodman
County: Fairfax
Photo by Clarissa Peterson
Christ Episcopal Church
City: Big Stone Gap
Date: 1890
Architect: T. Buckler Chequior
County: Wise
Image Credit: Virginia Department of Historic Resources
Byrd Theatre
City: Richmond
Date: 1928
Architect: Fred Bishop
County: City of Richmond
Image Credit: Virginia Department of Historic Resources
Brandon Plantation
City: Burrowsville
Date: 1765
Architect: Nathaniel Harrison II
County: Prince George
